Saturday, October 17, 2009

Happy Days Are Here Agiain

I got to make some serious sawdust. I am happy as a clam! Not only that, I finally GOT how to make my scrollsaw cut like I expected it to. Turns out the biggest problem was my blade was too loose. I kept trying to figure out why the blade seemed to bend instead of cut into the wood. Last night I went out there and was playing around trying to figure out if I would ever be able to get it to work. I had watched a dozen how-to videos and yet it wasn't cutting through the wood like a hot knife through butter like in the video.

Through misadventure and accidentily tightening the blade more than I though I was supposed to and whammo (real technical there huh?) it was a thing of beauty. The blade was cutting through the wood so fast and smooth. Sigh. I was so happy.

Did a little testing of what I could do. I cut out Chloe's name and then I cut out a sun and worked on what would happen if I cut out a path as if it was a side of a bead maze. It was WONDERFUL. Granted there is no way the scroll saw will EVER replace my beloved router in my workshop, but it does open up my work I do to have decorative parts thanks to the scroll saw.

So, I thought I should share the pictures of my experimenting. Yes, I know it doens't look like much, but if I can do cut-outs like these to make bead mazes for Chloe or some of my friend's kids. It could be fun, and a nice activity on a free afternoon.

Anyway, here is the test run!


0 comments: