Sunday, October 25, 2009

Bean Bag Toss Game

So my son asked me to make him a bean bag toss game. We looked at a bunch of pictures on Google and decided to do one that was painted with a clown holding a bunch of balloons and each balloon was a different number of points. He helped me get the setup right. I used scrap wood so it was a nice simple project I didn't have to spend any money on. (I think this may be a first!)

This is not painted yet, but this is the shape of the toy. I am going to build a leg thing so its up at an angle. I think I will make it stand up like an A frame so its easier for the kids to be able to see the places to throw the bean bags into.

I used some scrap plywood. Just thin 1/4 inch thick plywood and the edge is old 2x2 pieces I had ripped from a larger board. I think they were leftover from the built in bookshelves I did before. Either case, I took the 2x2s and ran them through the table router with a 1/4 inch straight bit it. This made the rabbit that ran the length of the inside of the edges. This way the board fit into the groove and with some glue it should stay that way. I think next time I will make those cuts deeper. The board barely went into the edge pieces so it was a bit wibbly as I tried to clamp it down.

For the circle cuts I used another piece of scrap wood and cut a circle out using the scroll saw. Then I clamped that to the board and used my 1/2 inch flush trim bit to cut the circles. There is a small wheel that is attached to a flush trim bit (for my momma friends who don't know what that bit is) so it will roll along a template and cut flush to that wheel. Its great for when you have a template like this to run along.

Fairly simple and fast toy. Depending on how I make the A frame, I may end up spending money afterall. I don't think I have anymore hinges laying around anymore and I would want to hinge mount the legs so that I can fold it up flat for when they are not playing with it. I also have to decide if I want to leave the wholes as they are, or attach a netting to catch the bean bags once they are thrown. That part hasn't been decided yet.

Here is our super simple scrap wood bean bag toss game (unpainted or finished).

0 comments: