Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Furla's House Sign

Although I have not really gone into my sign business yet, I wanted to share about this particular one. I have been avoiding it for awhile (so unlike me) because I wanted to make it really special and I really felt I was lacking in ability to actually do this.

She just bought a house and I offered to make her a sign for by the front door that says their name. They love wine and I wanted to do something with that in mind. I have gone back and forth on so many designs for it. I want to make it shaped like a bottle of wine. I want to be all fancy and inlay they whole bottle in another piece of wood so that the sign is square, but the bottle shape is there (obviously with a different stain color). No matter how I tried to work it up, it just wasn't working.

I think I have a better idea now what I will do. I think I will take a piece of my 1/2 wood and rout out the name using my sign maker jig. But instead of just routing the name in the wood. I am going to go all the way through the wood. So if you hold it up you can see through it. I will stain or paint this white so it will look a little like a label. Then I will inlay that piece of wood into a larger 3/4 inch piece of white wood I have sitting around. I can cut out it into the shape of a wine bottle and stain the 3/4 inch wood with a deep red color. So when the name is inlaid, you can see the red around it and through the letters.

I hope this will make it look like a wine bottle with a white label. I can use either my jigsaw or scroll saw to cut out the wine bottle shape and use my roundover bit in my router to round the edges. Seal it with my spray laquer I have for outdoor projects and it will be done.

I just have to have the time now. We are swamped this week preparing for my daughter Chloe's 1st birthday party. I have to bake a cake and decorate it and beg everyone's forgiveness since it will be lopsided and decorated horribly. Baking is NOT my forte, but at least it usually tastes great!

0 comments: