Monday, December 14, 2009

Life

Apparently its really hard to balance life and woodworking. I feel like I am always doing one too much and not the other. Then flipping and doing the other too much.

Sigh.

Since we last shared my monkey puzzle, I have only done a handful of projects. I buit a desk set for my new job. It started out innocently enough. I wanted to make a tissue box cover. I hate that generic corporate tissue box look. So I got a plan off of this blog I read called scrollsaw workshop. It was a pretty neat thing. There were little tabs and you glued it together to make the box.

The sides had 2 designs so if you doubled up the wood you could make the 2 matching sides at once so half the work. I chose this hummmingbird pattern.

Here is the raw design.




I glued it together which left the edges all funky. The tabs fit together, but the tabs stuck out. Then I realized this is why I have a flush trim bit. I trimmed all the edges and wa-la! I had a perfect square for the tissue box cover. I stained it and since I still didn't want to see the tissue box through the wood, I lined it with colored construction paper and now its perfect!




0 comments: